Friday, June 09, 2006

Not sure what there is to say

I started work this week. I can see this is going to be tough, disciplining myself to keep working when I am used to making my own schedule. This week, during work hours, I went to my personal trainer and had a massage (that took up 5 hours because I had to drive about 30 minutes each way and then wait 'over there' because the girl doing the massage wasn't available for an hour after my training session. I didn't want to drive 30 minutes home just to go back a half an hour later.). Then the next day, I had a long lunch date with an old high school friend, again 30 minutes drive out to meet her and a hour and a half lunch. It's weird because when I used to work in the office, I would sometimes take hour and a half lunches and it didn't bother me. But I felt a bit guilty this week, even though I don't really have anything to do at the moment. I won't be scheduling so much in the future but I can see it's going to be hard going back to that line of thinking... that my hair appts have to be in the evenings or weekends, that my yoga class needs to start as late as possible, that I have to get to the gym before my 9am start time.... On the other hand, I'm getting paid. Always a good thing. And I'm getting a salary that's probably higher than anything I can get in Seattle. And all I have to do is sit home and answer calls and emails with the occasional run out to a property to solve a hardware issue that can't be fixed over the phone. Not such a bad trade off, is it? As with most things, it's the change that takes the most getting used to, the newness of something. I'm sure in a few weeks, when I've gotten into the swing of things and I'm answering calls and emails from the comfort of my sunny deck, I'll be fine. Don't cry for me, Argentina. I'll be okay. lol

3 comments:

RisibleGirl said...

No worries- you'll get into the swing of it. Especially when you get really busy.

I've learned to do chores while on conference calls (QUEEN of multi-tasking, that's who I am!), I do my laundry while I work, and I schedule doctors appointments during my lunch hour (whenever I deem that hour to be!).

Working from home is FAB, and we're both pretty lucky, don't you think?

crazymagashi said...

I'd hate it if I had to wait a hour for a massage. It kind of sucks living your life around some job. But its cool you're making the bucks!

Anonymous G said...

Oh, I'm not crying for you, A. I'm smiling for you!
You'll get into the swing of it. Just follow RG's example. She's the Goddess of Working From Home!
xo