Wednesday, May 03, 2006

A few thoughts on my current situation

We heard the bun again, a couple days ago. The doc used a doppler to listen to the heartbeat and this time, there it was. Can I say again how cool that is? Especially when I feel so good, so not pregnant, it reminds us when we hear the heartbeat that in another 6 months we're going to have a baby. We still look at each other occasionally and giggle - yes, giggle - because, well probably because we don't know exactly how much it's going to change our lives. Holy shit.

Then I get frustrated because this is the first thing I talk about but it's not the first thing I want people to associate with me. I've been an individual for so long - a friend, a girlfriend, a wife (well, not that long), a skier, a softball player, a traveler, a hiker, a network administrator, a reader, a goofball. I truly don't want my conversation to be focused on the bun and only the bun. Sometimes I have to catch myself and switch the conversation because I've gone on too long. I don't want to dissolve into one of those people whose role as 'mom' becomes their only role. Which isn't to say I'm not somewhat excited about my new role, it's just to say it's not *only* who I am. You know?

K. 'nuff of that. We are dog sitting this week. My friend left her 13-year old retriever with us. Gosh, she's hard work. I think she's been laying on the floor unmoving for the past 2 hours. lol We have to wake her up occasionally to see if she's alive. She's a pet. She won't move if you call her name, you usually have to stamp hard on the floor to get her attention but boy if she doesn't hear the plastic rustling when you open the english muffin bag, or when you are peeling a banana or pouring milk into your coffee. She's right there looking at you, hoping you'll drop something, anything. If you are eating and she's been looking at you for 15 minutes and you haven't looked her way, she'll put her head on your lap and stare up at you. It's a bit disconcerting. But she's 13!! You just can't teach an old dog new tricks, and frankly, we just don't want to. If you give her some of whatever you're eating though, she'll vacuum it in and then look at you for more. It's not like she even tastes it, or appreciates it, or has a bit and leaves you alone. Nope, if you gave her some, she's hoping you'll give her more. Sigh. But we love her to death. We love having her here. I keep hoping for a dog but really, this tired old dog is probably all we need.

5 comments:

monica said...

Haha, just wait until you become so-and-so's mom. Hell if I know the names of the parents of the other kids in DS's classes, but I sure know the kids which parents belong to them!! Hee hee. It's worse now, that he's with my parents.

But becoming a parent is a big deal and a huge change. It's not surprising that would make the headlines, so to speak, when you talk to folks.

Anonymous G said...

:-)
You are who you are no matter the situation. The current stage of your life includes parenthood. It's a whopper of a stage, alright but it makes your life richer by the experience. I know you know all this. Don't worry about others who will only think of you as "pregnant", or "new mom". You're still a girlfriend, wife, traveler, hiker, networky gal, etcetera after all.
And we all love ya!
HUGS,
G

Mel said...

I can't imagine you taking on one roll and kissing g'bye to the others.
For the life of me, I just can't see that happening--or you letting it happen.

You're just adding TO.
And frankly, I'm thinkin' if you can handle that 13 year old retriever..LOL...you can do a child hands down!

E in Oz said...

That dog is 13...it's doing exactly what all teenagers do. LOL

I'm with Mel too...methinks you won't sacrifice too much of the other stuff as you add the bun to the mix and take him/her along for whatever ride it is you happen to be on. :-)

RisibleGirl said...

I don't remember much about being a new mom (or pregnant, for that matter) since it was so long ago- I do remember though that it was not my focus.

For what it's worth, I love hearing about this stuff though... so don't keep us in the dark! ;)