Friday, September 29, 2006

Friday afternoon musings

To start off with, Mel, a doula is like a helpful support person (in addition to your labor nurse and your midwife/OB who help with the delivery but not the natural form of pain management) during your delivery. This is someone I hire, in an effort to keep my birth natural, to help myself and Irish navigate through the hard bits by helping me keep breathing, keep changing positions, keep natural. Apparently, doula's first came into being out here in Seattle although a lot of people don't use them. But the statistics say that doula's help with the birth experience and help keep the level of intervention down if it's not needed by just being supportive. Most people would probably have just their husbands/partners and I'm pretty sure M could manage but on the off chance I have a 30 hour labor, even he's going to need a rest! Of course, it could be so painful that I'm screaming for drugs in the first 10 minutes and then I've wasted a chunk of cash, but there you go. It's worth it to me.

Can I just say what a beautiful morning it is here? As you may remember, I look out at the water from my office and it was quite foggy this morning. As M says, 'we must not have paid our bill because the view is gone!'. But slowly, the fog is changing, it's still hovering over the water but we can see the mountains and islands in the far distance and the blue sky. We can hear fog horns from the ships passing by and that is really cool. What a gorgeous fall day!

...an hour later... returning from a walk down by said water. sigh. What a lovely day.

I'm so mellow now, I don't have much more to say. Have a great weekend!

3 comments:

Anonymous G said...

Gosh, A...that just all sounds so lovely. I've had a manic kind of day (week..month?!) and the idea of watching the fog come and go over the water out my window is just too damn good.

hugs!

Mel said...

Well a doula sounds like they're handy--but I'm thinkin' they'd be MUCH handier if, after 30 hours of labour, it was YOU they were sitting in for and giving the break to! ;-)

We have fog this morning and it's still lingering. It's swallowed up the cornfields and, I'm sure, kissed the trees into even more gorgeous colours.
:-)
Hey....I think I'LL take a walk!

((((((((((((Anne))))))))))))))

RisibleGirl said...

We've had a few lovely days in a row. I'm loving it here right now.

Sigh... if only it could stay like this.