Friday, September 22, 2006

back on the upswing.

After a week of feeling tired all the time and sick if I'm not stuffing food into my mouth, I finally feel back to normal. Both of things probably led me to a 3 pound weight gain in 3 weeks (I know, I know, I'm pregnant, it's okay) because I wasn't up for the gym AND I just kept eating everything in sight. But whatever I did must've worked because I finally feel better. I was able to get up this morning and go to the gym and I haven't felt the need to eat that last little bit of banana bread that my husband made. Well, not yet. Anyhow, I think it was a bit of sleeping in (amazing what an extra hour and a half does for you) and taking time off from the gym, maybe I managed to avoid a cold or something. Whatever, it's all good.

The weather has been bloody dreary here lately. It's that time of year when the mornings are darker and the evenings get darker earlier and in a place like the northwest where you might get a bit of rain and cloud cover, these days feel even shorter. And it's only September! I remember the days when September was a great month in Washington. Sigh. Now I sound old... "I remember the days..." jaysus!

Besides the sleeping/eating issue this week, we've managed to interview and decide upon a birth doula. I don't know if anyone is familiar with doulas but they are meant to help you through your labor, basically assisting you and your partner in whatever capacity that you need. Because I'm hoping to go 'natural' (a girl can always hope), having a doula increases the percentage likelihood of this happening in a variety of ways. If it's a long labor, it'll help M out as well, giving him a break every now and then too. I don't know why I got so set on doing things "naturally" but there you go. I guess maybe I want to know my body can do it.

Continuing on the same theme, we are meeting with 2 other couples from our childbirth class. They live in our neighborhood and you never know when you're going to need some support or even a babysitter or whatever. They are both due before we are but only a couple weeks. It'll be nice to know someone going through the same thing we are - as we don't have any friends in this stage of life.

So that's it. No much else happening. Oh yay, the sun is coming out. HALLELUJAH!

2 comments:

RisibleGirl said...

Oh, Oh, OH! I remember that few minutes when the sun came out!

I'm glad you found a doula. A friend of a friend of mine is a doula. I would have given you her name- but she is kind of a weirdo. OK, I was being kind. She's a BIG weirdo.

Funny story though- she gave me some hypnosis tapes she made. She had made a big set of tapes, some for relaxation, some for labor, etc.

Well, she meant to send me the one for relaxation, but somehow slipped in part of the labor one. So, there I was, all good and relaxed and then I start hearing things about relaxing my vagina.

I almost died from fits of laughter, and as you can imagine was no longer relaxed.

Mel said...

*chuckling at RG's relaxation moment*

And this doula is news to me--this is like a midwife of sorts? *shrugs*

Glad to hear you're feeling better--equally glad that M WILL get his break....and hoping sunshine finds you again REAL soon.