Thursday, January 22, 2009

a new era




It's funny but even the cynic that I can sometimes be (thanks in part to a cynical hubby) is filled with hope over our new president. He may end up sucking like the last one but at least his speaking skills will not become fodder for The Daily Show. We won't have to endure any more smirks that make us think that he doesn't really believe what he's saying so why should we? Anyhow, it's over, so I don't think I'll dwell it. We watched the inauguration on Tuesday like a lot of other people and we prepared E for the big day. Of course, since then, anyone who's on the TV is called Obama. So maybe she doesn't really know who he is specifically. ;)

Along with the new administration, I'm back on the WW bandwagon. A little less intensely than the last time but still in hopes to keep things in check. I gained 3.5 pounds over the holiday and I'm sure that not working out has shifted things in the downward direction a bit. This week I was back down 4 pounds, just for keeping track of what I was eating. I'm sure we all know where this will go next week! Rather than 5 days a week at the gym, I'm working on a more relaxing schedule... more walks in the evening with the whole family (we go whenever it's not raining) and this week I've even incorporated a few workouts at the gym. My goal is to drag my butt out of my warm toasty bed into the cold dark air of the house and make it to the gym only 2 mornings a week! That's not bad. However, that's been my goal since I returned from CA and I haven't been there once yet. It does not help that I put a blanket over the window and it's even darker in the morning than it was!

Ever since we returned from vaca, I can't get the kid to sleep in a bed for love nor money. For the last week, the poor thing has been sleeping on the floor, on her sleeping bag, behind her closed door (which we had to close otherwise she would get out of bed for an hour each night after we said goodnight), her little face peeking under the crack in the door. I wish I could get a photo but I can't. I feel, and I'm sure M will agree, like horrible parents but we have tried all angles. At the end of the day, we are the parents and we set the boundaries. We need to suffer the crying of our child so that she will sleep better (she actually sleeps really well on the floor and wakes up happy) and so we will. I can't wait to see how it is when we go and return from Ireland next year.

Well, I know I'm cutting this off but if I don't post it now, I'll forget until it's 2011... Talk with you cats later. :)

6 comments:

Angela Noelle said...

I think it's a beautiful thing that young kids and any kids yet to be born won't be able to remember a day when there had never been an African American president. It just feels like another wall being knocked down, and I dig it ;)

Good luck on the WW--you are so incredibly disciplined, I bet you'll rock it!

Adrianne said...

That is the cutest thing ever. She is so sweet. I watched the video three times. What an adorable little voice!!!!!

RisibleGirl said...

Oh.how.SWEET!!!!! (not the bed issue, the Obama! hee hee)

If I recall, my ex-husband was the bed Nazi. The kids were never allowed to sleep in our bed, even when they were babies. Meh. But I guess I should have appreciated that particular thing about him more.

Oh, and good luck with WW. I put on a few lbs over the holidays. Funny thing- not being able to chew has helped me take that right back off. I haven't lost any more weight yet.

Perhaps it's the Girl Scout thin mint ice cream that's hindering the weight loss.

Joe said...

Goodness she's too adorable.

Would it help if we sent you reminders on facebook? Because 2011 is a long, long way away.

Unknown said...

So she isn't just another pretty face?

I let kiddo sleep with me whenever he wanted until he was almost 4. Hee hee. We were both happier that way.

Anonymous G said...

You and the wee one just made me smile!

:-)

see??

xoxo